Thursday, October 29, 2009

On LOL and AA

League of Legends came out a few days ago and I've managed to play a couple games since then. LoL is still in some sort of launch stage right now where players can play as any Champion they want without paying extra money. It's supposed to last for a little while longer, a couple weeks I believe, so if anybody is looking into finding out just which Champion type they like most then they should start playing now. Not all of the features are currently implemented, but you do get to gain experience that will carry over into the first "pre-season" stage of the game.

LoL is set up to work in seasons; so there will be pre-season weeks, and then probably a few months or so of an actual season as players battle for supremacy. Whether or not you get everything wiped at the end of a season I'm not sure yet, that would suck if you did though, and I kind of think you will lose all your experience. Not that it's exactly hard to gain back, but it's still a number of games just in order to gather it all.

The artwork style is superb. I think it's cell shaded for the Champions and mobs, and it just looks very well on the ground they're using. There's even many different kinds of maps, only two available at the moment with one being in beta, but that's already got me interested to see what else they can come up with. They technically have 3 maps, the third being the tutorial map, but it's a 1v1 map and LoL really isn't meant to be played as a 1v1 game.

If you've ever played DotA, LoL is basically the same thing but better. All of my personal issues with DotA that I can think of have been resolved. Buying things in the shop with recipes is fast and seamless. You can select the end recipe and all the parts needed are highlighted right there on the screen and you don't need to go search for them. Character movement even feels smoother, much easier for me to control then the Champion's in DotA. Speaking of controls, the hot keys have been remapped and it creates a much much better feeling game. Q, W, E, R, D, F, are the skill hot keys. The tutorial mentioned A and S but I don't remember ever really using them. The skills themselves don't feel so overpowered as last time. Positioning feels more important than raw power, usually.

The match making system so far is great as well. The game chooses people for you to play against based on your personal record, or that of your combined teams. If you want to read it yourself they have a giant post on it, I only skimmed it after getting halfway through since I already know how the Blizzard Arena system works. The three games I found were all found very fast, I played two solo games. The last game I played was with a friend and to do that I had to invite her into the game, and then hit the start button and solo players all flooded in the extra 8 spots. Or maybe some of them were also 2 or 3 players, I couldn't tell. It did take me 2 games and a lot of questions of others there to figure out how to actually invite a friend into my game with me, and at first I was sorely disappointed with the matchmaking system, until I figured out how to do this.

I'll go ahead and explain it here in case anyone is curious. Basically you click on the Play button, just like you would for a practice game or if you were going to enter a game solo. From here you click on the group pre-made button, and it brings you to a screen with options for what kind of game, how many players etc. all those options are locked right now though. Then you click okay, and then it takes you to a screen where you can invite people off your friends list or people that are in the same chat rooms you're in. Once you have everybody in there, then you hit start and the pre-game continues like normal as if you had entered a solo game, but everyone that you invited is on your team. You cannot use this system to play ranked matches against people you want to, if you want to play a ranked match against someone you know then you'll have to play a practice match.

That's enough on LoL for now, I'll try and write up a review later. These reviews are mainly for my own practice at doing them, the above isn't a review just a blog post.

Arkhan Asylum. Game is awesome, what can I say. Oh yeah, I can say one thing. If you are a perfectionist, do not play this game on the PC without a gamepad, because fighting is very hard with a 360 degree system and you're limited to 8 directions with the W, A, S, D keys. I have half a mind to just put the game down and go buy an xbox.

No comments: