Sunday, December 6, 2009

Unfortunate Happenstance

Sadly my gaming rig is suffering from some hard drive problems, so I can't really play anything at the moment. It could be motherboard issues, there's a tiny chance it's a memory issue but after running memtest no errors were found, so I'm going with hard drive problems since I can hear it clicking, though very rarely.
I've had an issue almost identical to this in the past, the only difference so far is that I don't have any corrupted files yet. So rather than continue to try and use the thing until all my files corrupt, I'm going to copy them over to some of those 4 gig usb drives before trying to run anymore tests. Currently it crashes almost randomly, with no real warning. Explorer is what always crashes, so I'm thinking my windows is corrupt.
If I have a virus, my services.exe is acting really strangely, but neither malawarebytes nor adaware can find anything. Adaware says they found a registry error, and fixed it, but I'm not so sure what that had to do with anything.
I had something else to say about my hard drive but I just can't seem to remember it at the moment.
I'll try and get a post up for Monday, but this is the reason why Friday's post never happened, because my PC started crashing all the time. Right now I'm on an old laptop that I've never really used before, but the freedom of movement is quite nice.

No comments: